Friday, October 14, 2011

Faux Lanterns {Tutorial}


 The other day on facebook.
Blue Cricket Design had offered a 'Take and Make' project.
So on a whim I put down that I would like to do it.
Thinking that I wouldn't be picked.
I am not that lucky.
However I was actually picked to do it!
Eeeeek!!!
I was going to meet Becca from Blue Cricket Design!!!
I had to drive about 45 minutes to get there.
But well worth it!
I got a loot of supplies!
All I had to do was create a project with these supplies and send her what I had done!
Pretty easy considering all that magic right there.
This is what I came up with.
Faux Lanterns
 Here is the
'How to'

Supplies needed:
Foam board
X Acto knife
Cutting Mat
Ruler
Black Paint
Paint brush
Vellum
Cardstock
Glue Dots
Glue Tape Runner
Cut your foam board in half with the X-Acto knife. 
Then separate the board into fours.  
You won't want to press all the way through with the X-Acto knife.
Next draw out with a pencil how you want the center of your lantern to look.
Take your X-Acto knife and cut all along your lines.
Paint foam board to desired color.
Using the tape runner, glue all around the edges in the inside of the lantern.
Cut the vellum to size and secure to the inside of lantern.
With the cardstock cut our images you want to show through on your lantern.
I used my silhouette to cut these shapes.
Use the glue dots to secure cut outs on the vellum.
You will want these on the outside.
Put three or four more glue dots to the end pieces so they will stick together.
Then just sit back and marvel at just how awesome you are!


7 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my word!!!! I am sooooo beyond impressed with what you created! I would have never thought of this clever idea! This is why I love my readers! You inspire me! So fantastic!

Jan said...

Love your lanterns. I have never seen orange vellum before.
Great job.

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

LOVE those lanterns! Great tutorial too, you make it look easy!

chris said...

These are adorable. What fun to be picked to play with so many great supplies!

Kaycee said...

These are great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

How stinking cute. and so simple. I would love for you to stop by and link up your lanters to More the Merrier Monday. It lasts through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up. I also have a link party for Halloween projects only at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/09/trick-or-treat-link-party.html that I would love for you to link up to as well.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
http://funfamilycrafts.com/faux-halloween-lanterns/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...